Creative Rhythm Planning

Design your live with intentional “Creative Rhythm Planning” Practices

There are two things we know for sure:

1. Energy flows where your attention goes.
2. If it’s not scheduled, it’s not real. (thank you Marie Forleo!)

By using the concept of “planning with intention” we are making a conscious decision where our attention goes. By doing this, we’ll will reach our goals and have more time for our creative pursuits. Here are a few ideas. Identify what will work for you.

Commit to “Creative Rhythm”  intentional planning sessions


Pick a consistent day/time to look at the week ahead.

  • Sunday evenings work well… or Monday mornings. How about end of the day on Friday? The important thing is to make it a habit by finding a time that works for you.
  • Put it in your calendar.

Plan tomorrow at the end of today.

  • Increase your success by ending each day with a short time to look – with intention – ahead to the next day.
  • Schedule it. Again, write it on your calendar

“The Intentional Planning workshop was great.  I wished we would’ve had more time or that there would be a part 2!  I really like Kelly’s approach to planning.  I’m enjoying the planner. And I’m excited about journaling.  I call it my “5 Minute Journal.”  I set a timer for 5 minutes (at least 1x day) and just write.  When the timer stops, I stop.  ”
– Shelley Gilbertson

Long term.

In addition to short-term planning, long-term planning is key to staying on track.

Start with an Annual plan, a Manifesto or a Vision Board.

Identify you areas of focus for your year. I used to do 10 – but I’ve narrowed my focus to 6!. The 3 areas you want to focus on in your PERSONAL life and the 3 focus areas in your WORK life.

“If I can’t picture it, I can’t understand it.”  — Einstein

Write your areas of focus somewhere prominent – like in the beginning of your paper planner – and then “picture it” – create a visual representation of your focus areas. Again, do this right in your planner so you can review it every day.

These appointments are as important as any other.Put all of your INTENTIONAL PLANNING sessions in your calendar as appointments with yourself.



Each week, start by re-visiting your personal manifesto – written and visual. Are you limiting yourself to your chosen 6 areas? Peter Bregman, Author of 18 Minutes, says to make sure that 95% of your time is on what I’m calling your “manifesto.” Let the remaining 5% be for the stuff that comes up in life.

By keeping your own personal manifesto in the front of your mind, you will more easily stay track.

Get your own Creative Rhythm undated Planner download a sample and try it for yourself! CreativeRhythmPlanner Pages

Thinking Differently

Using the 4 Primary Aims of Life as a my guide

I can’t help but  “think different.” In fact Linda Rasch recently helped me discover that this is actually  my “why.” Not at all surprised that my WHY is to challenge the status quo!  (based on the concept from Start with Why by Simon Sinek.)

And because of this I’ve always had trouble with the idea of the typical year-end planning that everyone does.

Next year in my PERSONAL LIFE I will . . . and in my PROFESSIONAL LIFE I will . . .

boxes! boxes! boxes!  My life never ever fits into those boxes.

My work feels like play and is my passion. Which means my PERSONAL life is solidly enmeshed with my PROFESSIONAL life and my CREATIVE life is part of both.

So how can I set goals or intentions that are in clean-cut LISTS or in nice little BOXES??

I can’t! That’s just the way it is!  Then several years ago I was at a Lisa Sonora BeamGorgeous Genius creativity retreat in Mexico. While there I read an article in a Yoga Journal called AIM HIGH.  It introduced me to a concept that shifted my paradigm. Don’t you love when that happens!


the 4 aims of life.  Or “the blueprint for human fulfillment.”

  • dharma (duty, ethics)

  • artha (prosperity, wealth)

  • kama (pleasure, sensual gratification)

  • moksha (the pursuit of liberation).”

This concept led me to change the way I created my future and to in turn, create the LIFT VISION KIT.  A different way of envisioning your goals and dreams.  Take 2 minutes to watch this…

There are three different sets of cards – and one set is  inspired by the “4 aims of life” – A fun creative tool for looking forward.  And for activating your Reticular Activating System (RAS).

Use your words, use images…

…and “create your future!”

Happy new year.